What it solves
Stretch marks are signs that can appear on our body for many reasons: time, a pregnancy during which excessive weight has been gained, drastic weight loss or even growth.
What are stretch marks
Stretch marks – which are scientifically called striae distensae or atrophic striae – are linear and delimited alterations of the dermal layer of the skin. They occur mainly on the breasts, buttocks, back of the calves, hips, thighs and abdomen. Generally lighter in color and luminescent than that of the rest of the epidermis, they can in some cases also take on reddish hues. This happens above all in the formation phase of stretch marks, when the skin is dilated. In the next phase, the one in which the body mass decreases or stabilizes, they tend to become lighter in color.
They are essentially skin scars, which also appear, especially in men, following significant muscle growth (muscle hypertrophy in athletes). They are mainly due to the lack of elasticity of the skin.
Main causes of stretch marks
The main causes that lead to the formation of stretch marks are:
- pregnancy (in addition to the increase in belly volume, also due to hormonal changes);
- breast enlargement due to breastfeeding or heavy weight gain;
- rapid growth and variation of body shapes in puberty (growth);
- genetic-constitutional predisposition;
- breast augmentation surgery (application of too large breast prostheses in inadequately prepared skin);
- being overweight;
- vitamin deficiencies and undernutrition;
- use of corticosteroids or anabolic steroids (to increase muscles growth).
Furthermore, stretch marks can also occur as a result of:
- excessive and prolonged stress;
- some diseases (such as Cushing’s syndrome, Marfan syndrome or Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, all hereditary diseases that interfere with the normal elasticity of the skin);
- long-term therapy with corticosteroids.
Treatments for stretch marks in aesthetic medicine
It should be noted that stretch marks formation can be avoided. Proper hydration of the skin is an excellent form of prevention. You should think about massages with elasticizing products right at the beginning of a pregnancy. Image Regenerative Clinic also offers targeted massages for every need.
In the event that the imperfection is already present, laser treatment for stretch marks proves to be a powerful ally, as in case of other scars or tattoos. In particular, the Fraxel Restore Dual laser protocol, a “fractional” treatment, favors the natural healing process of the skin, which is replaced by new tissue.
Specific treatments will be more successful on more recent stretch marks than older ones. However, even in this case, it is possible to intervene with effective procedures.